There have been a variety of accusations running around that Sarah Palin is some sort of crazed bible beater that wants to do away with science, medicine and sex ed… all of which is patently ridiculous.
So, I have done a bit of digging on Sarah, and here is the real story….
- Sarah Palin was baptized a Catholic as a newborn (Like Joe Biden, myself, and lots of other people)
- Her family changed churches often during her childhood (which is not uncommon)
- They eventually settled on an “Assembly of God” Pentecostal church in her teenage years (Joshua Dubois, Obama’s Director of Religous Affairs, and Leah Daughtry, Howard Dean’s Chief of Staff and CEO of the DNC 2008 Convention, are both Pentecostal Christians)
- Since then she has attended a variety of churches and even today visits several, including Lutheran and Catholic churches.
- Most often she attends a non-denominational independent Christian church (as does a huge portion of the American population)
- In 2006, while running for office, the one time she was asked about ID v Evolution, she responded with the “teach both” approach (as did George Bush, much of the Republican Party and large sections of the American population). She has never made a move to make this a reality.
- In the 2007 and 2008 “State of the State” speeches, she doesn’t mention God or Religion or Religious Issues (HERE, HERE) Lot’s of economics… Lots of energy… Lots of security… No God.
- She is a member of “Feminists For Life” which is a pro-life, pro-contraception group. She wants to make adoption easier, promote abstinence, and advocates the use of contraception. (A view not completely different from even Hillary Clinton if we are going to be honest.) This group also advocates for women in college to get child care services so that they can finish their education. Palin has never introduced, proposed or supported an anti-choice piece of legislation. When asked about these issues, she always refers to how difficult and “personal” these decisions are.
- As far as I can tell, she has never sponsored or promoted legislation based on a religious ideal during her 10+ years in office and has upheld the law in opposition to personal religious beliefs more than once.
Ok, so I hope that this answers some questions about the real Sarah Palin, instead of the disgusting hate mongering rumor mill that the blogs are turning in to.
(Much of the source material originated from HERE and links contained there in. I lost track of everywhere I gathered the above info, so gave up trying to backtrack links, but if you want to fact check me… go for it.)
UPDATE – I just found this!- More Here -